|3rd Vanguard Successful - Moon Launcher, 1958/03/17|
(1) Navy launched successful Vanguard satellite on 3-stage rocket after 2 recent failures, launch tiny 6-inch "moon"(partial newsreel).
|Radar makes Round Trip To Moon, 1946/01/31|
Fort Monmouth, New Jersey where army engineers sent radar to moon, closeup of screen shows radar signal, Col. DeWitt speaks, many future possibilities appear if allow imagination to reign.
|Radar Secrets Revealed, 1945/08/20|
(1) "Miracle of radar revealed" - ground detectors and direction finders - animation - enemy spotted on oscilloscope - radar antenna on plane can find shoreline or entire convoy - directional equipment on ground can spot enemy and friendly planes - helps plane land safely; (2) Governors Meet Truman - Truman poses with state governors; (3) Day of Days For Orphans - 60 buses bring 3000 orphans in NY to Long Beach; (4) Model Planes Fly 85 MPH - Chicago model plane meet; (5) Gone To The Bow-Wows - D...
|Radio Station's 'Attack By Mars' Panics Thousands, 1938/10/31|
(1) "New York, NY: Thousands of radio listeners throughout the U. S. are frightened into mass hysteria by a dramatization of H. G. Wells' old thriller, 'The War of the Worlds,' as staged by orson Welles, young actor-manager." sound of Orson Welles speaking at press conference. (2) King Visits Ill Youngsters - "London, England: Inmates at the Hospital for Sick Children in Great Ormond Street get a great thrill when King George and Queen Elizabeth visit the institution's new buildings and stay for...
|RAF Sinks Tirpitz, 1944/11/22|
(1) "RAF Lancasters converge on the 45,000 ton Nazi Battlewagon, hidden in Tennsue Fjord in Norway. She is throwing tons of bursting steel skyward, but super blockbusters plummet down and she is hit. Winds blow away her smoke screen and again she is hit mortally. This time the smoke clouds mark her slipping beneath the waves, forever." (2) All Out Drive On Germany - "In the snows of Northeastern Europe, huge, lumbering 105 and 105mm...
|Rail Strike Paralyzes Entire U.S., 1946/05/23|
(1) "Faced with the most serious strike in its history, the U. S. is hard hit by a strike of railroad men, Delayed for five days, the strike finally does begin. Trains are idle; transportation is seriously crippled; passengers are stranded in stations." scenes of the start of the railroad strike, U.S. government takes over railroads. (2) Eisenhower In Far East - "Nanking, China: The U.S. Chief of Staff receives gala welcome, as he visits China's leader during his tour of U...
|Rally For Castro. One Million Roar 'Si' To Cuban Executions, 1959/01/22|
Great crowd outside Presidential Palace in Havana approves executions of Batista officials; Castro addresses crowd (partial newsreel)
|Reconversion Outlook, 1945/08/16|
(1) John Snyder speaks (2) Postwar Life In Berlin (3) Dawn of the Atomic Age - Trinity explosion in New Mexico. (partial newsreel)
|Red Carpet for Tito in Moscow, 1956/06/07|
Tito arrives in Moscow by train, greeted by Khrushchev and Bulganin (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 1,823 (1 review)
|Red China, 1959/06/04|
Films made by communist cameraman in China, shows Mao and other candidates in election of National People's Congress, with massive show in Peking of dancers and balloons (partial newsreel).
|Red Colonel. Top-Ranking Russian Spy Chief Captured, 1957/08/12|
1) Col. Rudolf Abel is returned to Brooklyn for arraignment, faces charges, after 9 years of spying (2) passenger liner SS President Hoover visited by Hoover on his birthday (3) sideways launching of Dutch freighter in Holland (4) dummy guided missile standing for real Snark in test - then real Snark blastsoff (5) fashions - feathers in hair, and swept-wing hair style of model in car with swept wings (partial newsreel)
|Red Cross Unit Bombed In Ethiopia,1936/02/12|
"Rain of Bombs Kills And Maims Red Cross Workers (Photographed by Howard Winner, Ace Universal Newsreel Cameraman) - Dolo, Ethiopia: Exclusive, authentic pictures graphically show the flaming terror hurled against a Red Cross field unit near Nugelli by Italian airmen. Bombs and machine-gun fire kill and cripple Swedish doctors and their Ethiopian assistants. Scores of wounded soldiers die as the raiders ignore Red Cross flags...
Downloads: 1,854 (1 review)
|Red Fair Opens In New York, 1959/06/29|
Russia Turboprop airliner brings Kozlov to New York to open Russian trade fair, Ike came for preview tour, shakes hands with Kozlov, models of sputniks and nuclear icebreaker ship (partial newsreel).
|Red Spy Films. Chambers Farm Yields Top Secret Documents, 1948/12/06|
"Washington: Evidence found on the Maryland farm of Whittaker Chambers, forging a new link in the chain of spy data, is examined by Congressman Nixon and Chief Investigator Stribling of the House Un-American Activities Caommittee. The film may answer a lot of questions the country is asking." - Nixon looks at microfilm, the so-called pumpkin papers, Chambers says "Hiss is lying", pictures of pumpkin patch (no sound) (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 5,214 (2 reviews)
|Red's 'Lunik' Hits The Moon, 1959/09/14|
Soviet Russia launched rocket to moon (but picture is of V2 rocket, with film of earth below) - tape recorder with sound - animation (partial newsreel)
|Reds Back Down Release 26 From Hijacked Airlines, 1958/03/10|
(1) Panmunjon Korea hostages Hijacked Airlines from released, and another crisis due to shooting down of an American patrol jet (2) California USS Grayback sub equipped with Regulus missiles ("Regalus") (partial newsreel).
|Reds Bolt UNO Meeting, 1946/03/28|
(1) first part of story missing - "New York: Dramatic scenes unfold in the United Nations Organization Security Council meeting when Russia's delegate, Gromyko, stalks out of the chamber in protest over vote to hear Iranian dispute. After Soviet action, Iran's envoy, Hussein Ala, presents his nation's stand." Iran delegate speaks. (2) Valentine In Tokyo - MacArthur welcomes Lewis Valentine from New York to modernize Japan police; (3) aerial TV camera tested at Anacostia, put in nose of plane, tr...
|Reds Celebrate May Day, 1961/05/05|
May Day parade in Moscow, Yuri Gagarin featured guest, on Kremlin stand with Khrushchev; Castro picture on float in parade (partial newsreel).
|Reds Free Professor. Home After 16 Days In Soviet Prison, 1963/11/18|
JFK press conference, speaks about the unjustified arrest of the professor in Moscow; Prof Barkhorn? arrives on plane, returns to Yale campus in New Haven CT (partial newsreel)
|Reds Roll On In Germany, 1945/03/29|
(1) "Armies gain momentum in their terrific offensives as giant guns, rocket batteries and Stalin tanks mow down the Nazis. The enemy death toll is enormous, they surrender in droves, and their cities are methodically destroyed by shell and by torch. "And Russian might thunders on to a rendezvous with Gen. Eisenhower's Armies from the West." scenes of Russian drive For Berlin, rockets, tanks, prisoners, dead bodies; (2) Fire Bombs For Japan - "M 69 Jellied Bombs - First revealing pictures of Ame...
|Reds Rout Nazis, 1943/09/02|
"The fifth year of the war sees invincible Russia triumphant over the enemy as the Nazis are steadily repulsed and forced to retreat from every front." scenes with some sound include artillery and injured infantry; fighter plane shot down; tanks advance, cavalry, flamethrower, dead soldiers. (partial newsreel)
|Reds Withdraw. Cut Down Troops in East Germany, 1956/06/25|
(1) Red forces withdraw from East Germany, "but a Red iron fist still remains poised over East Germany" (2) "Egyptian Might. Parade Arsenal of Red Weapons" - parade in celebration of withdrawal of British troops from Suez in Mideast (3) heat protecting suit invented in New York (4) preview at Booklyn navy yard of film Away All Boats (5) For Men Only by Bert Bachrach (6) child does golf tricks (complete newsreel)
Downloads: 1,940 (1 review)
|Redstone Missile In production, 1957/02/14|
Chrysler plant in Detroit where Redstone missile assembled, launch (partial newsreel).
|Remarkable New Aid To Navigation, 1937/05/12|
"San Antonio, TX: navigators on sea or land, or in the air, now can tell their position in less than a minute, no matter what atmospheric conditions may prevail. The Hagner Position Finder does away with logarithms and the old, difficult process of navigation." (2) One-Man Band - "New York City: Elmer Trudgen, a Canadian farmboy, shows Gotham that the One-Man Band is not langer imagination. He has a contraption that enables him to play the piano, violin, guitar, harmonica, bass drum, snare drum,...
Downloads: 1,960 (1 review)
|Report on Vietnam, 1965/08/26|
(no sound - poor quality) SV soldiers, armored personnel carriers, B-52 drop bombs. (partial newsreel)
|Republic Convention Highlights, 1960/07/25|
GOP convenes in Chicago, Nelson Rockefeller arrives (some glitches), parade 'Stick With Dick" sign
|Republican Convention, 1956/08/20|
(1) Republican national Convention in Cow Palace in San Francisco, chaired by Joe Martin, California Senators Nixon and Knowland and ? - keynote address (2) "Suez Impasse. East and West Split on Seizure" - crowd cheers Nasser arriving on train in Cairo, his prestige has risen, streets deserted when Nasser called for strike to protest western foreign ministers meeting in London, boy hosted, London conference with Dulles offering plan on Mideast, but opposed by Russia (3) Nehru speaks on 9th anniv...
Downloads: 2,004 (1 review)
|Rival Candidates in New York Mayor Race, 1933/10/11|
La Guardia and Joseph McKee speak. (partial newsreel)
|Roosevelt Addresses Boy Scouts, 1935/02/11|
President Hails Scouting At 25th Anniversary Fete - "Washington, DC: The Chief Executive radios a congratulatory message to members of the Boy Scouts of America all over the United States on the occasion of the great youth movement's silver jubilee." (partial newsreel)
|Roosevelt Asked To Ban On Strikes|
Downloads: 1,638 (1 review)
|Roosevelt Landslide, 1936/11/07|
"Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Democratic party carry forty-six states, losing only little Maine and Vermont, in the mightiest election victory scored by any political organization since the triumph of james Monroe in 1820. Dramatic pictures show outstanding events of an exciting day, with the President voting at Hyde Park, N. Y., and later receiving the cheers and congratulations of his neighbors, Gov...
|Roosevelt To Run For 4th Term, 1944/07/14|
(1) "Wash., DC: President Roosevelt summons the newshawks of the capital to announce that he will permit his name to be placed in nomination if the sovereign will of the American people demand that he run." (2) Success In Normandy - "As the Allied drive gains momentum in Normandy some very revealing sidelights on the ferocious activity there, are seen. We watch huge flailing machines, mine beaters, as they thresh lengths of chain into roadways suspected of containing Nazi anti-personnel mines...
|Roosevelt Urges Congress, 1939/09/20|
scenes of interior of Congress in session, sound of FDR speaking to Congress to end the arms embargo in the partial newsreel without narration.
|Roosevelt Warns Axis, 1943/08/26|
The momentous Ottawa conferences are brought to a stirring clase as President Roosevelt advises the Fuehrer to surrender now or face the calamitous ruin which has just been planned for him." - FDR, Churchill at the first Quebec (Quadrant) conference, sound of FDR speech. (partial newsreel)
|Roosevelt Warns Of Danger To U.S. If Nazis Win War, 1940/12/31|
(1) "Washington, DC: President Roosevelt tells the world that the U.S. is determined to aid Britain, that the Americas will be in constant danger if the Axis poers win the war, and that the United States must become a great arsenal to supply England with arms." scenes of FDR speaking at his desk, Fireside Chat #16 (2) North Sea Action - "Thrilling scenes as Nazis attack a British convoy. A warship commanded by the king's cousin is hit by a Nazi E-boat...
|Roosevelt Welcomed Back At Capital, 1936/11/09|
"Washington, DC: President Roosevelt receives an enthusiastic reception as he returns to the city following his triumphant re-election. The Chief Executive thanks the Nation for its support, through a newsreel interview." some sound of FDR speaking
|Rout Jap Naval Force, 1944/04/10|
(1) Rout Jap Naval Force "Rabaul Harbor: Marvelous air pictures of a trim Jap cruiser getting the 'setting sun' bombed out of it. Our attacking plane knocks the wing off of a Jap fighter plane, then the Nip cruiser below is mercilessly attacked with high explosive bombs. We see hits and near hits, and leave the spoiled sea beauty, wreathed in smoke." 4. "Movies in War Bond Drive (2) Movie Report On 4th Loan "NYC: Sec...
|Runyon Cancer Drive, 1947/05/19|
(1) Drive opens May 19, with Walter Winchell (2) pledge of allegiance in Central Park (3) fiesta in Valencia Spain (partial newsreel).
(1) May Day in Moscow, parade in Red Square, emphasis on peaceful coexistence, no rockets or missiles, Khrushchev's "shocking announcement, a United States Air Force plane shot down on Russian soil, reportedly a top secret high-altitude reconnaisance plane. A glimpse of the hard face behind the May Day smile." [first reference to U-2 incident of Gary Powers]
Aviation display in Moscow, helicopter carries model of Gagrin spacecraft, new swept-wing bomber, jet fighter with rocket booster (partial newsreel).
|Russian exhibit of Sputnik, 1958/06/09|
Russian exhibit of Sputnik 3 (partial newsreel)
|Russian Recognition Nears, 1933/10/23|
Moscow, USSR: Unusual close-ups of Soviet government leaders now taking an important part in the negotiations between their nation and the United States that may ultimately lead to the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries. These views show Mikhail Kalinin, President of the Socialist Republic; Joseph Stalin, head of the Communist party and Maxim Litvinoff, Commissar of Foreign Affairs, who has been selected as the Union's envoy to America." - no sound
|Russians In New Drive, 1944/12/22|
(1) Russians In New Drive - "The mighty Russian military machine lays siege to Vilna, capital of Lithuania. After five days of intensive fighting, incuding a cleanout of nests of snipers, the city is occupied. 5,000 Nazis are killed and 8,000 taken prisoner." (2) RAF Blasts Nazi Ships - "Norway, R.A.F. Mosquitos and British Beau-fighters dive from mile high levels to set enemy ships on fire with gun and cannon fire, and rockets." (3) Leyte School Reopened - "Private, public and parochial schools...